Department / Division:
- Soviet/Russian History
- Environmental History
- Forest History
- Associate Professor
- Co-Editor of Environmental History, the journal of the American Society for Environmental History and the Forest History Society
- Ph.D. in History, University of California-Berkeley, May 2007.
Advisor: Yuri Slezkine
"Transforming Nature: The Russian Forest and the Soviet State, 1900-1953", Ph.D. dissertation
- Master of Arts in Humanities, California State University, Dominguez Hills, 2000.
- Bachelor of Science in Wildlife Ecology, 1994
- Southern Federal University, Rostov-on-Don, Russia.
Visiting Professor, September 2013—May 2014. Courses Taught: World Environmental History; Western Historiography.
- Mississippi State University.
Associate Professor, August 2013-Present
- Mississippi State University.
Assistant Professor, August 2007-July 2013.
- Courses Taught: World Environmental History; History of Russia; History of the Soviet Union; Early Western World; Modern Western World; Europe 1914-1945; Europe Since 1945; Western Civilization Since 1500; Europe 1789-1991; Totalitarianism and Authoritarianism; Graduate Historiography.
- "The Environmental History of the Soviet Union," in J. R. McNeill and Erin C. S. Mauldin, eds., A Companion to Global Environmental History (Chichester, UK: Wiley-Blackwell, 2012), 222-243.
- "Новый взгляд на уничтожение заповедников в СССР в 1950-е гг." ("The Destruction of the Zapovedniki Revisited"), Историко-биологические исследования (Studies in the History of Biology) Volume 4, No. 1 (Spring 2012): 57-82.
- Song of the Forest: Russian Forestry and Stalin's Environmentalism, (Pittsburgh, PA: University of Pittsburgh Press, October 2011. ISBN: 978-08-229-61659.
- "The Christian Environmental Ethic of the Russian Pomor," Ecozona: The European Journal of Literature, Culture and the Environment Vol. 2, No. 2 (Autumn 2011): 60-82.[Due for republication in a volume edited by Nicholas Breyfogle, forthcoming from the University of Pittsburgh Press in 2013.]
- "Stalin's Environmentalism", Russian Review Vol. 69, no. 1 (January 2010): 93-118.
- "The Great Stalin Plan for the Transformation of Nature," Environmental History Vol 15, no. 4 (October 2010): 1-31.
Honors & Awards
- Fulbright Grant, Southern Federal University, Rostov-on-Don, Russia, 2013-14.
- Visiting Scholar, Harvard University (Davis Center for Russian Studies), Fall 2010
- National Science Foundation Working Group, Arkhangel'sk, Russia, Summer 2010
- George Breslauer Dissertation Fellowship, 2006
- Fulbright Fellowship, Moscow, Russia, 2005-2006
- FLAS Fellowship, 2002-2003
- University of Arizona Graduate College Fellowship, 2001
- Eighteen-month research trip in Moscow, Russia; work in the State Archive of the Russian Federation (GARF), the Russian State Economic Archive (RGAE), the Moscow Oblast Regional Archive (TsGAMO), and the Archive of the Communist Party (RGASPI).
- Russian Academy of Sciences
- Fellow, Institute of History of Science and Technology, 2005-2006.
- American Society of Environmental Historians
- American Historical Association
- Alpha Zeta Agricultural Honors Society